Grain Free Granola
As much as I love granola, sometimes we need to make a low sugar batch.
Balance is the goal, “everything in moderation” is the mantra. This recipe is not only low in sugar, but is free from grains, which helps if you are following certain meal plans or just don’t tolerate grains in your diet.
Those with food sensitivities often struggle with finding recipes or foods they can enjoy while keeping their skin or GI issues at bay.
This recipe is free from added sugar, as we use dates to make the mixture sweet. The dates are heated and blended with water to create a date paste that works well and is sticky enough to moisten the granola and provide a layer of flavor.
Added sugar has gotten a lot of press, especially since the FDA unveiled the new food label , it has put a much needed spotlight on added sugars. It is great to help everyone be more mindful of how much added sugar is included in our diet. However in the spirit of moderation, sugar is just sugar and can be consumed in the diet when done so mindfully. Enjoy!
Grain Free Granola (No added sugar)
Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free
Makes about 5 cups
Serving size is ¼ cup
- 2 cups slivered raw almonds
- 1 ¼ cups pecan halves
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped dates (5-7 Medjool dates)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup dried fruit* (optional) – I used cranberries
- Heat oven to 300° F
- Add nuts, seeds, flaxseed, coconut shreds, salt, and cinnamon to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat small sauce pan over medium heat, add pitted dates and water and heat until dates have softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer dates to blender and puree into a paste.
- Return date paste to the sauce pan, add the vanilla and coconut oil and mix.
- Add the warm liquid contents to your bowl of dry ingredients (nuts and such) and mix until everything is coated.
- Spread out granola mixture onto sheet pan lined with silicone baking mat or parchment paper and bake in 300 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to help cook evenly.
- If adding dried fruit, add when there is 5-8 minutes left in cooking (optional).
- Allow to cool at room temperature, at least 30 minutes, this helps the mixture get extra crunchy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Note: this recipe freezes well. Store in air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months!