Until making this recipe, I don’t think I ever truly appreciated broccoli for its naturally rich, bright flavor and perfectly crunchy texture.
I’ve always tried to cover up the raw broccoli essence by roasting, sautéing, or steaming it. Oh, broccoli, how I’ve underestimated you all these years. That is, until now. This broccoli salad highlights all the innate characteristics of fresh broccoli, with the added tang of citrus and the creaminess of mayo. Great for a side dish and hardy enough to fill you up, thanks to the protein packed chickpeas and almonds, this salad is going to make you crave broccoli like nobody’s business. Cheers!
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free
Yields about 8 half cup servings
- 3 heads broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bell pepper (or 6 mini bell peppers), seeded and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Juice from 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Trim broccoli, cut florets from stem and chop into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Thoroughly rinse and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, diced bell pepper, and chickpeas.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together mayo, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, orange juice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Combine liquid mixture with veggies in large mixing bowl, toss to evenly coat. Add sliced almonds.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least one hour to really get the flavors going.
- Serve chilled.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.